Tuesday 24 November 2009

Final Blog

My experience learning English at the University

At the beginning of the year, there was so much uncertainty about the English class that nobody really take it seriously. At first, we even didn´t know if it was part of our career program, (well.. we don´t know it very well yet) because it was a new class that the faculty wanted to implement. So it is supposed that this year of English was a kind of prove, for seeing if the program worked. So everything has been a chaos this year and very disorganized, but despite that, English classes haven’t been so bad…

I remember the English class started at first like a very unpleasant thing to do. Nobody wanted to take that course, even me, because we were so used to our schedule ..and well, I have to recognize that when I heard about it I thought it was going to be so bored and so useless, like a waste of time. I think we probably tend to think those kind of things because we didn´t have good experiences with other English courses in the past, or because we think it could be similar like English classes at school…and that would have been terrible!.. because in my case I remember English classes were so bored! Every single year they taught you the verb “to be”, “past perfect”, etc…always grammar, grammar, grammar… and just a few of vocabulary and other things. I know it is always bored to learn grammar, but languages are more than that!.. you know, ..you have to understand how does the language work, because it is different to think in other language, and I think those kind of things are much more difficult than learning the past participle of a verb, because those things you just get them with the pass of the time, practicing the language, so I think that is the best thing English classes at the university gave me…the opportunity of practicing.

I usually don´t practice English, because I don´t read or talk or do anything related with it …I just see some movies in English and listen to music, but nothing else, and obviously that’s not enough. You have to practice the language more often so you catch it better and you make yourself more confident on what you are saying or writing in English or in any other language you want to learn.

Well…, after all, taking the English class wasn´t so bad, because I feel that my English has improved, and because there are always new things to learn, like learning more vocabulary, clarifying some grammar doubts or correcting some mistakes that we used to make when we talk or when we write. So, finally I think it was a very good experience to return studying English, because I really like to learn more languages and because it is a very important tool for getting a job, for traveling, for studying abroad, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment